Friday, September 3, 2010

Scholarshp! Yeah!

As some of you know I concocted a plan to raise money for school. Before I retired from the city job, I put away some money to attend school during my retirement. At this time the money set aside was more than sufficient. I decided to expand my education in a direction that involved more Culinary classes in addition to the Baking Certification and my hubbie decided to get a Master's Degree. This is why the money saved started to thin out.

Now in addition to the Culinary Certifications, I have been side tracked, of course in a good way. While at Claddaugh Irish Pub (only went there because I had a gift certificate from winning a Top Chef Competition hosted by the Lyndhurst/Highland Heights Chamber of Commerce)for lunch with my school buddy Kelly. The usual discussion of food morphed into a social justice conversation concerning availability of planned menus for certain special needs diets. We discussed the practicality and affordability of the types of food involved in some of these menus. We both believe in treating the cause of the disease rather than just treating a symptom.

As this discussion progressed, Kelly had mentioned getting involved in the Robert L. Lewis Academy of Scholars to do a independent study project to develop this idea. This means filling out an application and enrolling in two classes. Unbeknown to me the Academy offers scholarship money for independent study in Social Justice issues. So I enrolled, got accepted and now I have some scholarship money! I am so pumped!

2 comments: